Elder law is a legal discipline that addresses the needs of seniors and individuals with disabilities. Our elder law services blend estate planning with a focus on long-term care and end-of-life advocacy. We believe that estate planning is no longer just about what happens after you die, but now also needs to address how you will live as you age. Therefore we discuss long-term planning for health care and for financial viability that addresses family dynamics, health care decisions, personal values and personal preferences.
At WanderPolo and Siegel, Counselors at Law, LLC, in Upper Montclair, New Jersey, we help our clients plan for the future.. By using a combination of legal tools, we can ensure your assets are properly managed and protected from creditors and taxes that could otherwise eat away at your life savings.
Protect Your Assets, Protect Your Loved Ones | Bergen & Essex County Long-Term Care Planning Attorneys
Many people worry that the need for long-term custodial care will force them to deplete their assets. This isn't necessarily the case. At WanderPolo and Siegel, Counselors at Law, we work to reduce the financial burden of the high cost of care by advocating for and maximizing our clients' eligibility for government benefits, including Medicare, Medicaid and veterans' benefits. Utilizing advanced planning strategies, our attorneys strive to go beyond traditional planning in helping our clients locate the appropriate type of care, coordinating private and public resources to finance the cost of care, and advocating for their rights.
Areas in which the WanderPolo and Siegel, Counselors at Law, LLC, assists clients include:
- Long-term care planning and advocacy serving Essex and Bergen Counties. We consult comprehensively with our clients regarding options for long-term care, advising them on placement options, funding sources and services available through government and private agencies. Our attorneys review admission agreements to ensure that the resident and family member's rights are protected.
- Veterans' benefits. Many military veterans are not aware of benefits they are eligible to receive. We can help you to apply for benefits that can help you to receive treatment in state veterans' memorial nursing homes and to help to cover the costs of your care in assisted living or at home.
- Medicare, Medicaid and other public benefits. Many people are confused about which public benefits they are eligible to receive and how those benefits work. We can help you get the benefits you are entitled to.
- Observation services. Increasingly hospitals are placing Medicare beneficiaries in acute care hospital beds and calling them outpatients resulting in a reduction in the Medicare coverage for which they are eligible. We represent the interests of clients who are eligible for in-patient Medicare benefits but have been placed in observation instead and billed accordingly.
- Guardianships and conservatorships. Unfortunately, there is not always an opportunity for planning and for this reason we have focused a significant part of our practice on assisting clients in obtaining guardianships and conservatorships to help them provide for the health care decision-making and financial needs of their disabled loved ones.
- End-of-life planning. We help individuals and families gain control of the dying process and maintain independence up to the end of life.
Attorney Shana Siegel is a Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA) in New Jersey. This means that she has substantial experience and knowledge in the complex interplay of issues impacting the legal needs of older clients. Read more about CELA
Consult With Our Attorneys Today
At WanderPolo and Siegel, Counselors at Law, LLC, our attorneys have nearly 60 years of combined experience. We can ease your burden in dealing with the complex and difficult issues facing families caring for an elderly or incapacitated loved one. For more information, contact us online or call 973-744-5710. The firm represents clients in Essex County, in Bergen County and across North Jersey in elder law matters.